Company: Loveland Living Planet Aquarium
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
The Controller is accountable for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles and financial reporting standards. This is a full-time, benefited position (32 hours per week).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures to ensure accurate and complete accounting records.
- Manage outsourced functions of concessions including retail, food and beverage and photo, including monitoring of compliance with contracts.
- Oversee the accounting operations of third party vendors, their control systems, transaction-processing operations and policies and procedures of contractual stipulations.
- Ensure that accounts payable are approved and processed for payment accurately and in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all pledge donors, grant organizations and credit customers are invoiced in an accurate and timely manner and that all appropriate and reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable.
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly.
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed.
- Ensure that maintaining G/L account reconciliations are completed on a timely basis.
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Issue timely and complete financial statements.
- Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report.
- Maintain effective system of internal organization wide internal controls.
- Ensure effective risk management practices are adhered to and work with insurance companies and legal counsel to ensure consistencies.
- Develop, design, create, improve and maintain accurate management and accounting reports using various formats, including Excel, SQL, DOMO and QuickBooks.
- Oversee payroll functions to ensure accurate and timely payrolls and compliance with tax reporting requirements.
- Responsible for coordination of annual budget and forecasts from department heads and directors in completion of annual budgets.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Maintain effective purchasing system for A/P and credit card processing. Enforce rules with respect to purchase orders, approvals and documentation requirements.
- Ensure effective document management procedures for department and assist other departments in maintaining effective document management.
- Maintain fixed asset depreciation records and reporting. Ensure proper custodial processes are in place to protect company assets.
- Assist with preparation and review of grants as needed.
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions and contract negotiations.
- Coordinate with independent accounting firm the provision of information for annual audit and Federal Form 990 preparation.
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration or equivalent business experience with 5+ years of progressively responsible experience for an enterprise based aquarium or non-profit organization. MBA is desirable.
Certified Public Accountant designation preferred.
Strong computer software skills and excellent oral and written communication skills are required. Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications, QuickBooks Enterprise and Gateway Ticketing. Must be able to resolve complex problems and manage relationships. Sense of urgency and detail orientation is required.
Scope of position:
Able to manage across multiple departments. May support other as needed.
Physical Demands of the Job:
This job requires periods of standing and walking as wells as periods of sitting with data entry.
Special Working Conditions:
Job will primarily be in an office environment. Periodic weekend or evening work may be expected and some holidays where important deadlines must be met.
While this job description attempts to describe the essential functions of the position, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. It does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties or responsibilities to this job at any time.
Loveland Living Planet Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. LLPA does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected class under federal, state or local laws.
Link to Apply: