Stormy Simon // Democrat // Utah House District 21
How have the arts, culture, and/or humanities impacted your life?
- I am of the belief that Art assists in creating cultures and the ability to speak to individuals regardless of backgrounds or wealth.
Utah's humanities and arts employ 123,000 Utahns, provide $4.4 billion in earnings, and $13.2 billion in sales. This is a larger economic impact than agriculture, mining, and real estate. Do you consider the arts and cultural sector an economic driver in Utah?
Fiscally responsible government investment in the arts and humanities (including humanities and arts education) means to me:
- I believe that each state has the responsibility to preserve and provide art education as a way to encourage creativity and expression. As well as allowing, the education and experience for the past and future.
I support the following legislative items:
- Grants to be used for operations (jobs) as soon as possible
- Protecting the RAP taxes so that money granted to cultural organizations doesn't get repurposed
- Fiscally responsible government investment in arts and humanities organizations.
- Development of cultural districts
- Facilitating partnerships between tourism and culture.
- Capital investment (in museums, performance/concert halls, studios, galleries, nonprofit office space, etc.).
- Percent for public art programs, which optionally designate 1% of government capital costs for public art
- Allowing municipalities to set design standards
- K-6 Students should have increased exposure to arts and humanities education
- 7-12 Students should have increased exposure to arts and humanities education
- I support the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program which puts one arts specialist in most elementary schools
- I support the POPS (Professional Outreach Program in the Schools) which sends 13 professional arts organizations to all UT school districts
- I support the iSEE (Informal Science Educational Enhancement) which sends 10 professional science, zoological, and natural history organizations to all UT school districts
Anything else we should know about you?
- No answer given
Do you like this page?