Shireen Ghorbani // Democrat // Salt Lake County Council At-Large (A-)
How have the arts, culture, and/or humanities impacted your life?
- The arts are a central component of who I am. I grew up dancing and acting, my mother was an English teacher who approached the work through a humanities and culture lens, and I went on to major in theatre and later ran a children's theater and small community theater in Bismarck, North Dakota. Arts are about community. Artists are innovators and economic drivers in our community. Investing in and supporting this work is critical to me.
Utah's humanities and arts employ 123,000 Utahns, provide $4.4 billion in earnings, and $13.2 billion in sales. This is a larger economic impact than agriculture, mining, and real estate. Do you consider the arts and cultural sector an economic driver in Utah?
Fiscally responsible government investment in the arts and humanities (including humanities and arts education) means to me:
- I am proud of the investment Salt Lake County makes in the arts and the humanities in our community. When we look at what feels like a very uncertain future in the time of COVID-19, I will be keeping an eye on how our artists are responding to help our community make sense of all that is happening. I also know that carefully supporting the arts as we rebuild and re-open is important given the huge number of jobs and economic benefit brought to our county by this important work.
Items of Legislation I support:
- I support the RAP tax
- I will ensure existing fund balances are preserved for recreation, cultural organizations, and parks
- Percent for public art programs, which optionally designate 1% of government capital costs for public art
- My county's redevelopment authority should have a public art ordinance
- Friendly ordinances that encourage public and private mural creation
- Increased investment in public art projects to encourage murals, sculptures, utility wraps, and more
I believe percent for art ordinances should apply to:
- Public buildings
- All government capital projects
Anything else we should know about you?
- I am a champion of the arts and I would greatly appreciate your endorsement.
Do you like this post?