Marilyn Mecham // Democrat // Cache County Council (B-)
How have the arts, culture, and/or humanities impacted your life?
- Life would not be worth living without music, art and literature especially while we are social distancing at our homes?
Utah's humanities and arts employ 123,000 Utahns, provide $4.4 billion in earnings, and $13.2 billion in sales. This is a larger economic impact than agriculture, mining, and real estate. Do you consider the arts and cultural sector an economic driver in Utah?
Fiscally responsible government investment in the arts and humanities (including humanities and arts education) means to me:
- I want to support youth dance and music and theater groups to keep the arts strong.
Items of Legislation I support:
- I support the RAP tax
- I will ensure existing fund balances are preserved for recreation, cultural organizations, and parks
- Percent for public art programs, which optionally designate 1% of government capital costs for public art
- My county's redevelopment authority should have a public art ordinance
- Friendly ordinances that encourage public and private mural creation
- Increased investment in public art projects to encourage murals, sculptures, utility wraps, and more
Would you elaborate on your answers above?
- We already have one but I strongly support RAP tax going to theater, music and art programs, especially for youth.
I believe percent for art ordinances should apply to:
- Public buildings
- Private Developments
Anything else we should know about you?
- As a 5-year-old, I was in my first play. I have benefited from band and music programs. I support these programs for my grandkids. My family members have been in Smithfield Health days programs. These things need to continue for future generations.
Do you like this post?