Linda B. Hansen // Republican // Utah State Board of Education District 3 (A+)
1. Should government invest in funding the arts and humanities at fiscally responsible levels?
2. Do you support investing money into K-12 arts and humanities education at fiscally responsible levels?
3. Do you believe that arts and humanities education should be required in the k-12 curriculum?
4. Do you consider the arts and culture sector to be an economic driver in Utah?
5. Do you support Utah's Percent-for-Art Act, which designates 1% of public building costs for public art?
6. Do you support preserving the Utah Historic Preservation Tax Credit?
7. Do you support policy that positively impacts tourism, such as the creation of historic and cultural districts?
8. Have you had a personal experience with arts, culture, or humanities that has had an impact on your life? Please explain. (responses to this question were not graded)
I took a drawing class when I was young and was encouraged by a great teacher to continue to use my talent. I have a brother who is a professional artist so my talent fades in comparison to his - but I continue to draw. I also like to spend time pondering visual art; I can easily spend an entire day in an art museum and I love historic architecture. I enjoy tremendously opera and the ballet and seeing youth dancing, singing and enjoying the creativity and fun of the arts. Most of my children have musical talent - which we have encouraged. Our lives would be downright boring and much less enjoyable without the arts.
Explanations or Comments
I love the arts and have fought to keep them in our schools. For the 4 years that I was the PTA Director for Granite School District - we managed to keep Granite from discontinuing elementary music. It was a sad day when it left our schools. Since I have been on the State Board of Education, I have voted consistently to prioritize and increase Beverly Taylor Sorenson Arts funding. I have encouraged all of my schools to participate in the Beverly Taylor Arts program and worked to try to find ways for my rural schools to do so. I have supported POPs funding and field trips to performances - I also love the performances that Utah Opera brings to our schools. The lives of children are greatly enriched by the arts.