Kenzie Carter // Democrat // Utah House District 74 (A)
How have the arts, culture, and/or humanities impacted your life?
- Humanities have impacted my life by educating my worldview and challenging my ideals, requiring me to think creatively and to ask questions to become informed.
Utah's humanities and arts employ 123,000 Utahns, provide $4.4 billion in earnings, and $13.2 billion in sales. This is a larger economic impact than agriculture, mining, and real estate. Do you consider the arts and cultural sector an economic driver in Utah?
Fiscally responsible government investment in the arts and humanities (including humanities and arts education) means to me:
- Appropriate funding of the program. I don’t feel that the Arts and humanities get the recognition they deserve considering the contribution these programs make to the lives of everyone. Art/humanities tells the history of the human race. So why don’t we give it the respect and funding it deserves?
I support the following legislative items:
- Grants to be used for operations (jobs) as soon as possible
- Keeping emergency loans open to nonprofits
- Protecting the RAP taxes so that money granted to cultural organizations doesn't get repurposed
- Increasing availability of loans to cultural businesses (non-profit and for-profit)
- Fiscally responsible government investment in arts and humanities organizations.
- Development of cultural districts
- Facilitating partnerships between tourism and culture.
- Capital investment (in museums, performance/concert halls, studios, galleries, nonprofit office space, etc.).
- Percent for public art programs, which optionally designate 1% of government capital costs for public art
- Allowing municipalities to set design standards
- K-6 Students should have increased exposure to arts and humanities education
- 7-12 Students should have increased exposure to arts and humanities education
- I support the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program which puts one arts specialist in most elementary schools
- I support the POPS (Professional Outreach Program in the Schools) which sends 13 professional arts organizations to all UT school districts
- I support the iSEE (Informal Science Educational Enhancement) which sends 10 professional science, zoological, and natural history organizations to all UT school districts
Anything else we should know about you?
- I believe the funding for the arts /humanities is imperative to the growth and development of our children and our culture. Targeting the arts for budget cuts is like cutting the funding for public schools. We need to stop robbing our children of learning opportunities and the resources they need to become educated, involved adults.
Do you like this post?