Jeff Rust // Republican // Utah State School Board District 13
How have the arts, culture, and/or humanities impacted your life?
- I have degree in Russian from Brigham Young University and as such have a strong time to the Humanities department at BYU. I believe the arts round out the education and stimulate innovation.
Utah's humanities and arts employ 123,000 Utahns, provide $4.4 billion in earnings, and $13.2 billion in sales. This is a larger economic impact than agriculture, mining, and real estate. Do you consider the arts and cultural sector an economic driver in Utah?
Fiscally responsible government investment in the arts and humanities (including humanities and arts education) means to me:
- I believe arts stimulates innovation, is an assistant in sales and business development opportunities and is an economic driver
Items of Business I support:
- Credit requirements for participation in the arts and humanities should be increased
- K-6 Students should have increased exposure to arts and humanities education
- 7-12 Students should have increased exposure to arts and humanities education
- I support the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program which puts one arts specialist in most elementary schools
- I support the POPS (Professional Outreach Program in the Schools) which sends 13 professional arts organizations to all UT school districts
- I support the iSEE (Informal Science Educational Enhancement) which sends 10 professional science, zoological, and natural history organizations to all UT school districts
- I support increasing funding for arts education with property tax
- I support increasing funding for humanities and social sciences education with property tax
- I support working to increase funding for arts and humanities education.
How would you expand participation in the arts and humanities amongst all students?
- As a liberal arts graduate, I believe the arts are a critical part to innovation. Leadership is enhanced as the arts are coupled with math and science. I believe that a strong emphasis should be placed on making sure that equal focus is given to the arts as the math and science.
Do you like this page?