View in Browser FROM OUR FAMILY TO YOURS: INSTITUTE OFFERS NEW, FREE ONLINE COURSE
We are pleased to share our new, free online course with you. We will announce the course publicly in January but wanted to share with you in advance. Please feel free to mention this news to your friends, colleagues, and professional networks.
Taught by myself and DeVos Institute President Brett Egan, the six-week course will introduce you to our management theory, the Cycle, which supports thriving arts and cultural organizations regardless of art form, geography, or size. Based on our work in more than 80 countries, we developed the Cycle as a simple, but powerful tool to assist arts managers in their effort to respond to an increasingly complex environment and propel their institutions to excellence.
We have designed this course for arts managers, board members, funders, students, and even patrons and enthusiasts of arts and cultural organizations who are interested in learning how to build thriving and vital institutions around the world.
The course includes lectures, answers to frequently asked questions, case studies from arts managers across the United States and worldwide, and activities to assist you in applying the principles of the Cycle in your organization.
We hope you enjoy the course, and we wish you a wonderful holiday season!
Michael M. Kaiser
Chairman, DeVos Institute of Arts Management
ABOUT THE COURSE The Cycle: Management of Successful Arts and Cultural Organizations
The Cycle explains how great art and strong marketing can create a family of supporters, who in turn help the organization produce the revenue required to support even more great art the next year.
Session 1: December 12, 2016 – January 27, 2017
By taking the course, you will learn:
- Board members;
- Students; and
- Patrons and enthusiasts of arts and cultural organizations.
The Institute has seen the Cycle work in:
- The importance of bold, exciting, and mission-driven programming in an organization;
- How long-term artistic planning can help an organization produce this work;
- How an organization can aggressively market that programming and the institution behind it to develop a family of supporters – including ticket buyers, board members, donors, trustees, and volunteers;
- How an organization can cultivate and steward this family to build a healthy base of earned and contributed income; and
- How an organization can reinvest that income into increasingly ambitious programming year after year.
- Performing and presenting organizations;
- Museums and historical societies;
- Service and advocacy organizations;
- Public libraries;
- Arts schools and university programs; and
- Botanical gardens and zoos.
IMPACT "By implementing the philosophy of The Cycle throughout our organization, we’ve been able to bolster our capacity by nearly tripling our operating budget in just four years. Working with the DeVos Institute has completely transformed the history of our organization, and we feel more confident than ever about our future."
– Andy Smith,
The Nickelodeon (Columbia, South Carolina)
You are receiving this e-mail through your connection to the DeVos Institute of Arts Management at the University of Maryland.
Unsubscribe [email protected] from this list.
Our mailing address is:DeVos Institute of Arts Management at the University of Maryland1300 Pennsylvania Avenue NWSuite 410Washington, DC 20004
Add us to your address book
Copyright (C) 2016 DeVos Institute of Arts Management at the University of Maryland All rights reserved.
Forward this email to a friend
Update your profile
Do you like this post?