Craig Hall // Republican // Utah House District 33 (A+)
How have the arts, culture, and/or humanities impacted your life?
- I have been involved in the arts my entire life. I have played the piano for 40 years. I played competitively throughout my high school days. I still play for fun, and also play the organ in church regularly. Having music as a big part of my early life was so beneficial. During my eight years in the legislature, I have shown that I am a strong supporter of the arts/culture/humanities.
Utah's humanities and arts employ 123,000 Utahns, provide $4.4 billion in earnings, and $13.2 billion in sales. This is a larger economic impact than agriculture, mining, and real estate. Do you consider the arts and cultural sector an economic driver in Utah?
Fiscally responsible government investment in the arts and humanities (including humanities and arts education) means to me:
- Certainly, there are hundreds of requests for appropriations during each legislative session. But funds for the arts and humanities HAS to stay on the priority list.
I support the following legislative items:
- Grants to be used for operations (jobs) as soon as possible
- Keeping emergency loans open to nonprofits
- Protecting the RAP taxes so that money granted to cultural organizations doesn't get repurposed
- Increasing availability of loans to cultural businesses (non-profit and for-profit)
- Fiscally responsible government investment in arts and humanities organizations.
- Development of cultural districts
- Facilitating partnerships between tourism and culture.
- Reducing regulations of creative businesses.
- Capital investment (in museums, performance/concert halls, studios, galleries, nonprofit office space, etc.).
- Percent for public art programs, which optionally designate 1% of government capital costs for public art
- Allowing municipalities to set design standards
- K-6 Students should have increased exposure to arts and humanities education
- 7-12 Students should have increased exposure to arts and humanities education
- I support the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program which puts one arts specialist in most elementary schools
- I support the POPS (Professional Outreach Program in the Schools) which sends 13 professional arts organizations to all UT school districts
- I support the iSEE (Informal Science Educational Enhancement) which sends 10 professional science, zoological, and natural history organizations to all UT school districts
Anything else we should know about you?
- I greatly appreciate your great work over the years! Throughout my eight legislative sessions, I have shown my commitment to the arts and humanities. I look forward to working with you in the future. Thanks for your great work!
Do you like this page?