Clare Collard // Democrat // Utah House District 22 (A+)
How have the arts, culture, and/or humanities impacted your life?
- Arts and humanities are very meaningful in my life. I am an aspiring artist, I have always been a creative at heart. I currently am working with alcohol inks and fused glass. My husband is a musician and studied classical guitar. Both sons took piano lessons which made them more well-rounded.
Utah's humanities and arts employ 123,000 Utahns, provide $4.4 billion in earnings, and $13.2 billion in sales. This is a larger economic impact than agriculture, mining, and real estate. Do you consider the arts and cultural sector an economic driver in Utah?
Fiscally responsible government investment in the arts and humanities (including humanities and arts education) means to me:
- In my day job as the Business Services Manager for Cyprus Cu I have the privilege of working with many small businesses and nonprofits. I see the value and enrichment these organizations bring to residents throughout the state.
I support the following legislative items:
- Grants to be used for operations (jobs) as soon as possible
- Keeping emergency loans open to nonprofits
- Protecting the RAP taxes so that money granted to cultural organizations doesn't get repurposed
- Increasing availability of loans to cultural businesses (non-profit and for-profit)
- Fiscally responsible government investment in arts and humanities organizations.
- Development of cultural districts
- Facilitating partnerships between tourism and culture.
- Reducing regulations of creative businesses.
- Capital investment (in museums, performance/concert halls, studios, galleries, nonprofit office space, etc.).
- Percent for public art programs, which optionally designate 1% of government capital costs for public art
- Allowing municipalities to set design standards
- K-6 Students should have increased exposure to arts and humanities education
- 7-12 Students should have increased exposure to arts and humanities education
- I support the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program which puts one arts specialist in most elementary schools
- I support the POPS (Professional Outreach Program in the Schools) which sends 13 professional arts organizations to all UT school districts
- I support the iSEE (Informal Science Educational Enhancement) which sends 10 professional science, zoological, and natural history organizations to all UT school districts
Anything else we should know about you?
- In the last several weeks I have been working with many non-profits to get them approved for SBA/PPP loans. It is critical that we maintain this meaningful part of our society.
Do you like this post?