Mission // UCA is the voice of the arts, humanities, and cultural sector of Utah. We serve, empower, and strengthen this community through statewide advocacy, professional development, and building cultural awareness.
Vision // We envision a State that values the impact of arts, humanities, and cultural sector on the quality of life in Utah.
- Culture: We affirm that the arts, culture, and humanities are vital to a meaningful existence.
- Integrity: We make responsible, ethical decisions and do what is best for our organizations and its members.
- Diversity: We celebrate all people and viewpoints and support a culture of inclusion and access for all Utahns.
The Utah Cultural Alliance (UCA) is the unified statewide voice and support organization for the cultural community. By fortifying cultural organizations and individuals within Utah, we strengthen Utah as a whole. Over the years, UCA has evolved into a membership-driven organization that includes museums (arts, history, science, botanical gardens, and zoos), universities, archives, libraries, artists, patrons, as well as arts, folk arts, cultural, humanities, science, education, preservation, history, and heritage organizations. Additionally, businesses, corporations, and foundations belong to UCA to support the continuing viability and visibility of Utah’s cultural community.
UCA offers programs and services on three levels: advocacy, awareness, and professional development. In a nutshell:
- Advocacy // UCA advocates on behalf of culture to Utah’s elected and government officials; advances grassroots involvement by its members in public policy; keeps members apprised of public policy and funding changes that effect the community; assesses the cultural positions of elected officials through candidate surveys; and tracks, takes positions on, and lobbies for and against bills and appropriation decisions that affect the cultural sector. UCA houses the Utah state arts captain for Americans for the Arts and facilitates all communication with the delegation from Washington DC for National Arts Advocacy Day.
- Professional Development // UCA fosters a sense of community through events; nurtures collaboration between cultural organizations, government, business, and individuals; develops skills through professional training opportunities; encourages networking and increased cooperation and collaboration within the cultural community; and recognizes important individuals and organizations to the sector by awarding annual Pillars of the Community, Lifetime Cultural Achievement, and Lifetime Cultural Supporter Awards.
- Awareness // UCA builds general community awareness of the creative and cultural sector through outwardly focused awareness campaigns and especially through our popular eNewsletter, blog, and social media pages. We are an important statewide information hub and resource center that measures the economic impact of the state and disseminates this impact through our annual State of the State Report.