Get Involved in a Utah History Day Contest Near You
Utah History Day is looking for volunteer judges for our spring 2017 History Day contests. As a judge you will evaluate historical research projects created by 4th through 12th grade students from every corner of the state. The categories include exhibits, documentaries, websites, performances, and papers. Topics range widely, from local to national and world history.
Judges interact directly with students, who are both nervous and excited to share their knowledge. You will be given a thorough training, use established NHD rubrics and materials, and will work as part of a judging team. You will ask questions about their work and then provide written comments. Complimentary lunch is included.
Volunteering has been a truly worthwhile experience for college students and faculty over the years. It gives you valuable experience interacting with young people on historical topics. It introduces you to the Utah History Day/National History Day program and how it can transform history education in today's schools. It allows you to network with local educators, professional historians, archivists, and other members of Utah's vibrant historical community. Most importantly, your service supports a great program that improves students' ability to think historically and develop a more complex understanding of the past.
Choose a Contest that is Convenient for You:
- Wednesday, February 22 in Blanding
- Saturday, March 4 in Price
- Tuesday, March 7 at Utah State University, Logan
- Friday, March 17 at Salt Lake Community College, Sandy
- Monday, March 20 at Utah Valley University, Orem
- Friday, March 24 at Weber State University, Ogden
- Friday, March 24 at Snow College, Ephraim
- Friday, March 24 in Beaver
- Saturday, March 25 in St. George
- Saturday, April 29 at Hillcrest Junior High, Murray
Sign Up Here: www.history.utah.gov/judges
A flyer is included here; please share with anyone you know who would be great at this! We hope you will join us; it is fun and rewarding. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions you may have.
* Judges training and materials are provided
* Topics range from local to national to world history
* Student contestants from 4th grade to 12th grade
* Choose the category/s you would like to judge: exhibits, documentaries, websites, performances, or papers