Please join UCA and our colleagues at the Utah Division of State History for History Day on the Hill. Utah History Day is Utah’s official National History Day affiliate. Formerly called Utah History Fair, this program has operated continuously in Utah since 1980. Last year, more than 5,000 Utah students in 4th through 12th grade participated in History Day, learning how to conduct real historical research and then create a final project that showcases their work. Students present their projects in a series of contests beginning at the school or district level and advancing through regional and state competitions. Utah’s top entries qualify to compete at the National History Day competition in Washington, D.C., each June.
Utah Cultural Alliance is honored to co-host Arts Day on the Hill with our partners: Utah Division of Arts & Museums, Art Works for Kids, and this year, we are excited to add Utah Music Educators Association! Music Day on the Hill is now merged with Arts Day for an extra special day!
- 8:30am // Registration opens
- 9am // Welcome, Brief Advocacy Training
- 10am // Senate Chambers for Senate President Art Competition and Recognition from floor
- 10:45am // House Chambers for Recognition from floor
- 11am-3pm // Meetings with Legislators
- 12pm // BYOLunch to the Rotunda
- 9am-3pm // Performances from around the state, introductions done by each groups' representative
Don't miss our legislative session preview and advocacy training on January 12th at 1pm to be best prepared for Arts Day.
We are charging a nominal fee this year to help cover costs and ensure attendance. If $7 is a barrier, please email us at email@example.com and we'll give you a promo code. Legislative captains attend for free!
Duties of a Legislative Captain:
- UCA assigns you 2-4 legislators
- Reach out to legislator or their staff to schedule meetings on February 5th with arts day attenders who are their constituents
- Shepherd arts day attendars who are constituents of your legislators throughout the day
- Lead meeting with legislators
- YOU MUST ATTEND A UCA LEG CAPTAIN TRAINING (2 hours) BEFORE FEBRUARY 5
- YOU MUST BE PRESENT AT ARTS DAY 8:30am-3pm
- Bonus, you get to attend arts day for free!
Join our colleagues at the Utah Museums Association for Museums Advocacy Day! Represent your institution and speak with your representative about the importance of museums.
- Friday, March 23, 2018 at 01:00 PM
- Zephyr Room @ Rio Grande in Slc, UT $2.50 USD
We'll tell you what happened in terms of bills and appropriations (the $) during the 2018 legislative session that impacted arts, humanities, and cultural businesses. Speakers include Jill Love of Utah Department of Heritage and Arts, the division directors of State History, State Library, Arts & Museums, as well as Multicultural and Indian Affairs. Joining them are Spencer Stokes, UCA lobbyist, and Crystal Young-Otterstrom, UCA ED. Pizza and salad will be served!